This recipe is really for round Thumbprints, so I will give you the original version.
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup raw almonds or walnuts
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I like Arrowhead Mills Whole Grain Pastry Flour)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 jar (you will have extra) all natural strawberry or apricot preserves (I like the Fiordifrutta brand)
1. Combine oats and nuts in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
2. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until you have a smooth dough.
3. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Press thumbs into the center of the ball and fill with strawberry or apricot preserves.
5. Bake at 350 until bottoms are slightly golden (About 15 minutes).