I am excited to begin sharing recipes with all of you, but more, I am looking forward to your comments, feedback, and contributions!
For my first contribution I chose to provide you with a complete meal. It contains: A whole grain, a lean protein, and a non-starchy vegetable. Both recipes contribute to a family dinner that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. They are simple, clean, and easy to prepare. Props to my mother-in-law Michelle Haddad who introduced both of these recipes to me. I have been adding both to the weekly rotation ever since.
1/2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 lb. organic ground chicken (white meat is preferred)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 8 oz. can of Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce
1. Sauté chicken and garlic in EVOO until chicken starts to brown.
2. Add tomato sauce, and continue stirring over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to boil for 3-4 minutes.
3. Serve over Brown Rice, (if preferred, you can use Quinoa, Bulgur or any other whole grain)
1. You can also throw this chili right over some mixed greens for a delicious dinner salad.
2. For a spicier dish add crushed red pepper, or hot salsa.
3. If your family prefers a sweeter chili add a sautéed onion as well.
Fresh Broccoli sautéed With Garlic and EVOO
This recipe sounds like any other, but for some reason when I follow my mother-in-law’s exact directions it really comes out perfect. So here it is:
1 head fresh broccoli (organic if possible), cut into florets
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon EVOO
1. Place broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute exactly. Remove and immediately rinse under COLD water.
2. Sauté garlic in EVOO until nicely browned, then add broccoli and continue sautéing over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or really until desired degree of doneness. ENJOY!
Note: I usually double this recipe for a family dinner, as one head of broccoli really doesn’t cut it!